29 August, 2008

Teach Yourself Arabic: Lesson Talatah

Without further ado, content: I have been taking a Survival Arabic course for the past four days. At 1:30 in the afternoon, I spend about three hours being drilled about the colloquial Arabic word for 'eggplant', or 'change', or 'where'. Despite a rough first day, it has been going pretty well, and even better on days when I study. Today I was called into the office for some reason to which my teacher was not privy, but I figured it had something to do with payment for the course, because they did not have me officially registered when I got there, and they had to add me to a list. I was correct. I explained to them that my home university would gladly pay them if they sent and invoice for the amount necessary ($200, I believe), though they didn't quite understand, I don't think, and asked me again where my receipt was. I reiterated that I was specifically instructed not to pay for the course, because my study abroad adviser would incorporate it into my program fees, and we wouldn't want to pay them twice, now would we? Eventually, he had my write it all down, so he could show the accounting department that something was being done about the delinquent who wouldn't pay his dues.

As I understand it, AUC will be doing this sort of thing a lot. Their organizational skills leave something to be desired, you see. Conversely, in some realms, they do much better. Take, for instance, the student party from which I just arrived home.

At 5:00 PM most of us were bused out to the new campus for the first time, which is located in New Cairo, about an hour through the desert, Southeast of Cairo (normal). I was amazed at the grandeur and excess in the $500 million dollar facilities, especially with all the fountains and landscaping that gives the distinct impression they plan on putting grass in (so much water!). Here is a power point tour that can serve as a replacement for the pictures I didn't take. We deboarded and walked towards the magnificent gates that led deeper into the campus, all the while obnoxiously loud techno music blared from an area near the edge of the grounds. We were told to wait, and then told to go towards the music, and then told to wait, and then told to go back, and then told to turn around again, and go towards the--now ready--amphitheatre, from which the music had been originating.

We were lined up in lines according to our sex, and then given our free gabaya (a sort of traditional outfit dress thing; I traded mine for a red, flashy, girl one--busting down gender roles, wooh!). A few carts were set up for food, including: koshry (Egypt's most famous dish, mentioned a few posts ago), ful (pronounced 'fool'; essentially refried beans in pita bread), an eggy-bread thing with vegetables and meat (after a bit of mangled Arabic, I got them to make a batch without meat for myself and a few other non-meat eaters), and shwarma stand (sandwiches made from meat that cooks on large, revolving posts). They also had coconut milk and really intense grape juice. Once we got our food we sat down in the designated area, which was also populated with rugs and chairs for a little more of a homey feel.

For the next five hours we were entertained with a DJ, Nubian dancers, an Arabic band, some Egyptian dancing, and more DJing. I danced my cares away most of the time, but took breaks for a self-guided tour of the campus and H2O replenishment. Andy didn't leave the floor except when we were forced to sit down once or twice, what an animal! There was also a belly dancing competition that I did not win, but I feel it was because the judge must have decided that comparing my dance skills to everyone else who was trying would have been unfair to the non-professionals. I mean, I even had those tiny hand cymbals for extra effect, so it clearly wasn't a fair contest. All in all I would say tonight was great, and AUC isn't entirely incompetent. I reserve the right to change my judgment, at least until I see how the rest of my schooling here goes.

Last night was similarly memorable. I competed in a scavenger hunt (where I also was denied my rightful title of Champion). My group (Steph, Miho, Chie, Chelsea, and myself) had 29.25 (we only got 1/4 a point for a picture of a place that used chopsticks, rather than the chopsticks themselves) out of 39 items found. Another group was said to have had 32, but after an examination of their checklist, we discovered that a certain, multi-part item was not counted as one point, and instead counted for each multi-part it had. We conceded defeat, however, as the other team had already been given their prize (100 LE, or about $20, towards a purchase in the AUC bookstore), and we didn't want to seem ungrateful for the chance to get free food and fun. Next time though, I plan on winning so hard that the other teams say, "I didn't even know you could win that hard. Wow."

Another yesterday event: I shaved my head and beard. Both were growing into the realms of unwieldyness, and I didn't feel like their upkeep was worth the trouble. Also, I didn't want to buy shampoo.

So, life goes on. I lost my debit card the same day I finally got my PIN reset, so now I have to wait until they send the new card to my mother, who then will be sending it on to me. I'm going to mooch of my friends for the most part, but being as I bought a meal today for the equivalent of 60 cents, I don't think I'll be needing much. Sunday we're heading out to Siwa, which is an Oasis near the border of Libia. There were mentions of a safari into the desert for the night, as well as donkey carts. I think it sounds lovely, don't you?

After Siwa, we're going to Alexandria for a few days, and then school starts on 7 September. I'm excited, because I like my classes and my fellow students. I'll make sure to keep taking pictures and posting posts, and you all make sure to keep sending e-mails and commenting on said posts. Stay classy, and good day to you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lukey, why don't you just come home? We need you here.

Anonymous said...

But it's the f*!*ing desert, is it not?

Anonymous said...

What is she talking about Luke?
I hope buy me soemthing nice...
just thought I would finally get around to reading your posts so I can know what to exspect when I come in Dec.

Maggie said...

"I traded mine for a red, flashy, girl one--busting down gender roles, wooh!" You are awesome.
I do miss you, Luke. I realized that Ive been quietly missing you since high school began! When you come home I really do want to get together.