30 October, 2006

J'ai De Mauvaises Nouvelles...

Salut mes amis! I have returned from my trip to France, and it was undeniably a doozy. To regale you with the tales of the past two weeks would be boastful and could not do my experience justice, so I'll stick with the highlights reel.

Thursday night I slept at Derrick's step-second-cousin's roommate's flat. Friday morning I got into Paris. I learned upon arrival in Rouen that if I valued friends based on the awesome-factor of their home town, and their subsequent ability to guide me through it (which I do), Bastien ranks number one with no contest. That night consisted of a French dinner (cheese) and a Jazz concert. The next day involved a road trip across France to Lyon and another Jazz concert (slightly more on the Gypsy end of the music spectrum). Later I had my first clubbing experience--on a boat--which lasted until daybreak the following morning. Then there was a market, a roman amphitheater and lots of churches. On Monday Bastien and I drove back home with a pit stop in Versailles. The following day I was left to my own devices in Paris, where I stayed in his father's apartment just on the edge of town. I walked for twelve hours the first day, visited the Louvre, walked some more, and met up with Bastien's sister's boyfriend and walked even more the second day. Finally: I went to the Pompidou modern art museum, saved some girls from a transient bum who insisted on throwing crackers--given to him by me--at them, experienced a naked drunken mob of Parisians on the metro, saw a tiger on the street, visited the top of the Eiffel Tower at night, slept in a train station until I got kicked out by the police, moved to the street with some hobos, and then went back to London.

All-in-all it was totally worth it, and I learned more in one week than I have all semester so far.

Most useful phrase: Tu as un beau clu, tu baise?

Thing I am taking back to America: Greetings by kissing.

Only bad thing about the trip: That I had to come home.

Something to look forward to: Moving to France next summer to work on Bastien's farm.

Current mood: satisfied

P.S. Upon returning to Oxford I attempted to reinvigorate my mohawk hairstyle, only to find that my razor died after getting essentially half of it done. Upon trying to charge it without a converter, my adapter has been fried, and hence my new picture showcasing a halfhawk. Enjoy!

No comments: