22 May, 2009

Students in Solidarity with Gaza: About Us

We are a group of students organizing a delegation to Gaza. We aim to show our support for the people of Gaza by: meeting and building community with other students, working with grassroots organizations, delivering aid, and representing the face of the international community that does want to help and actively participate in lifting the siege. We are committed to enhancing our own perspectives about the reality of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and to bringing real, human stories back to our communities.

Many of this trip’s organizers are students who participated in a March aid delegation to Gaza. We witnessed destruction and listened to stories which serve as evidence that political alliances and goals have become more important than respect for international law and human life. We are motivated by these personal experiences to organize this delegation of students in solidarity with Gaza. We are part of a bigger movement, Code Pink’s 22 day campaign to lift the siege, in which delegations from around the world will be coming to Rafah in May and June, bringing international attention and putting pressure on Egypt to open the border.

We welcome anyone to our delegation who is excited to share in these goals and interested in learning more. Flexibility is also key. Our plans may change. The Egypt-Gaza border is officially closed, and while we will do what we can to ensure our safe crossing at Rafah, crossing the border can never be guaranteed.

[taken from the trip literature, not written by me]

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Plagiarism, you? Sounds eerily familiar as I've read some of the literature Jenn returned with...Nanny was so surprised you took such a serious approach this time...Waiting for the real story, kid.

Love mom.

!xqp said...

I didn't intend to imply that I had written this, but I added a bit at the end that makes it clearer.
Serious as opposed to joking? What do you mean?

Maggie said...

WOW. I don't even know where this Gaza is or what the hell is going on. I'm such a typical ignorant American! It makes me SICK! It's not that I don't give a shit, really! Luke, do you have any advice for me about how I should educate myself? There's SO many resources out there I don't even know where to begin or what's even considered "reliable" sources. HELP! I hate this feeling of being so....BLIND to what's going on in the world.

Anonymous said...

heya tell me about amreeka