03 December, 2008

For Fox Sake

So, here I am again, a month since any blog updates, with too much to say and not enough time to say it. Why do I get myself into these messes? [sigh]

Here we go again?

There was the birthday party at Sequoia, a really posh restaurant on the northern tip of Zamalek, where there is a 90 LE minimum spending limit. This means a lot of shisha. Also some food? No, but really, their shisha menu was amazing: it consisted of a board with 40 little plastic containers for each of the flavors, like muz (banana), khukh (apricot), and ass (wait, what?).

There was a Halloween party where we overloaded the hammock and then it fell and my tail bone was crushed mercilessly. I felt like puking and passing out, but I resisted the urge because I knew there would be plenty of other people doing the same for different reasons and I didn't want to conform.

There was that time when I lost my AUC ID card, again. I've yet to get it reissued, again, because this time it will cost me 250 LE, or about $50. I'll just be all stealthy-like whenever I need to go in the library, I guess?

There were all those books I have read on my iPhone, which is the best invention evAR. So far: The entire Hitchiker's Guide trilogy, World War Z, Ender in Exile, Fahrenheit 451, Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Timeline (yeah, sort of a Michael Crichton kick I guess), The Princess Bride (new second favorite book), Minority Report, Diary, Requiem for a Dream (amazing!, almost better than the movie), and The World without Us. That is "it".

There was that time I uploaded a bunch of new pictures to my Picasa account. You should enjoy them at your leisure.

There was the field trip to Damietta, a town on the coast of the Mediterranean, where our class was supposed to get information about the social movement that blocked a proposed fertilizer factory built by Agrium. Mostly it involved looking at the site and talking to the guy who said he started the revolution, and then eating at a seafood restaurant with the same guy, and then going to the place where the Nile and the sea met with that guy again, and then getting some coffee and leaving. It was fun?

There was that time during the previously described field trip where I was talking to the guy sitting next to me, Amr, and I mentioned I was going to India and he said he was too. Where are you going? he says. Mumbai. Me too! Weird. When are you leaving? he says. Around 30 December. Me too! Weird. (Later: Have you read Catch-22? he says. Oh my god it's my favorite book evAR! Weird.) It was all extremely serendipitous. We decided to combine our trips and now I'm going to India for a month (instead of two weeks) so I can work on an organic, sustainable farm with him. If I fail all my classes this semester, I'll probably just stay. In fact, I might just stay anyway.

There was Thanksgiving, where a few of us decided to go to Maadi house and peruse their offerings. At first no one knew where it was, and then I was told it wasn't in Maadi (a district of Cairo where all the American ex-pats live, essentially: fortress America), and then we heard it was, so we took the metro there and got in a taxi and were soon enjoying mashed potatoes, vegetables, crackers, and pumpkin pie. Other people may have enjoyed the meat selection, which I think was some sort of bird? Anyway, I ate too much pie, and then ate a little bit more because I could, and then went home and slept.

There was scuba diving last weekend in Dahab, which was quite nice. We did three dives on Friday and one on Saturday; I saw jellyfish, lion fish, eels, garbage, blowfish, rock fish?, angelfish, clown fish, and many more whose names I don't know. Also, does anyone else find it odd that there seems to be no rhyme or reason to whether the space between the word "fish" and its descriptor is present or absent? What if I made up a new fish? Which would I choose? Which would you choose?

There were the auditions for The School for Wives, a play by Moliere, that happened last night. I find out today if I was called back, and then sometime next semester we start rehearsals and whatnot. You should all come see it.

There was the time that I was supposed to write two book reports and a lot of reaction papers but then I just did other things. Oh yeah, that was always.

Two days from now is a ten-day trek to Israel/Palestine. My birthday will be celebrated by participating in a desert rave (if all goes to plan). Also, maybe I'll write some papers? We'll see.

Well, that is all I've got for now. Send me stuff. Money, mumkin?.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Luke, it's you! It's been so long that I figured the inevitable had finally happened... That you'd gone off to live the life of the classic hipster ascetic deep in the desert.. Living with nothing but your wits and Iphone to keep you going.

Glad you're still updating blogs and that you appear to be having an amazing time! I will issue you this warning, however: watch out for crazy spiders! A friend of mine just came home from a year in India and a simple spider bite on his finger ended up becoming a flesh eating wound that made his finger turn black. Watch out for that, would you?

Also, you should update here more often.. Some of us aren't on facebook. :)

Maggie said...

I can think of a fish name!! Ooh I can I can I ME ME ME!! "F%#^fish." one word. Because Im not making a statement, as in, "F^$& FISH!" Im naming the species of fish as in, "F$@(fish"

So did you get in the play?

PS- uuuummm....isn't Mumbai the place in India where those terrorists attacks just occured? You COULD just join some form of militia, you know. Otherwise, Nepal and Ecuador have some great opportunities available, too. You can do a home stay, like you did in Costa Rica, and in exchange you help them take care of the children and plant stuff! I REEEEAAAALLLLYYYY want to go to Nepal and do a home stay, but I simply do not have $2,000 to spend on Air Fare.

But I AM a strong swimmer.....

Anonymous said...

Nice bog, Lukey...but wait, now I have to worry about spiders, too? It was so nice to talk to you, but you should be here, WE NEED YOU!!! Terrorist attacks? I watched the news, much to my dismay, and IT'S ALL TRUE???? Hmmm.No, I'm not on drugs, do you think I should be? Find any Salukis? I mean, if you're not getting killed by spiders or terrorists?
It is eight (8) degrees here with a -10 wind chill....K then,
stay there. It is in your best interests...or not.
It's cold with no heat...
Love you and hope "ur" warm...
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Not only that, SONIA is RIGHT!